Friday 23 January 2009

Get a life!

That's what someone in my congregation advised me as her parting shot, as I edged out of her hospital room. I suspect it may have been because when she asked me what I was doing this evening I admitted that I'd be thinking about the sermon.
But today I think I've had quite a lot of life. Friday began with our drop-in breakfast (best fry-up in Sheffield and some good theological/pastoral conversation), continued with NT Greek (three of us have now got as far as Mark 2 after 2 years hard slog) and a fundraising meeting for our worker with older people (semi-depressing - why do good projects need constant reinvention so people will still give them money?) followed up by two hospital visits and an evening on the computer still ahead of me, to be rounded off with a thriller and a bit of mindless TV.
Does this count as a life? I'm not sure. It would be lovely to have about twice as much time so I could a) reflect on all the different pieces of the mosaic and connect them with one another more creatively and b) do some of the follow-up that should really be done after most of the things I do. But it could be a lot worse. I think.

4 comments:

  1. Does this count as a life? It sure sound like it to me. You seem to be seeing a lot more of the rich mosaic of life than many of us manage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interesting thing about a mosaic is that at ground level it just looks like a patternless mess! I'd love to try making one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It isn't a glamourous job, but somebody has to be the grout that holds all the colours as a cohesive whole...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. [ps] something is brewing in my brain regarding this post, and the patchwork nature of life, but it isn't quite formed enough to put into words. Or maybe words aren't the best medium anyway, maybe fabric is...
    Watch this space. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete