Thursday 12 February 2009

Piecing together prayer

I went for a walk in the park this morning - the snow's still not melted from where it fell last week. There's a thick film of ice over the millpond and everything's in black and white. Ducks were skidding in to land and standing around on the surface, at a loss to know what to do. Squirrels were trying to remember where they buried that nut. And I walked along, praising God.
If you'd seen me, you'd have thought: there's a camera nut. And then, maybe: what's she trying to take pictures of? There's nothing there.
And there was nothing there in any spectacular way. Details of fungus on treetrunks, details of trees reflected in water so still you could hardly tell which way was up. Details of snowflakes and moss fronds and birch bark. Amazing details of creation.
Creation is on my mind just now, both because of the (to me) staggering information that a third of the British public believe in a 7-day creation (were they asleep in all their science classes?) and because on Sunday morning we're going into Genesis 1 in a big way: discussion groups, craft sessions, practical options for being green, and that's just the service.
And also because of Job.
When Job protested at the suffering of the innocent, he was pointed by God in the direction of creation. Can you give me specifications for the foundation of the earth? Has the rain a father? What about the hippopotamus? Face it: if you can't get your mind around creation, you just haven't got a hope of understanding innocent suffering. Trust me, I'm God.
With Job (I suspect), I find this less than totally satisfying. Yet with so much innocent suffering going on all around me, I find the advice to look carefully at creation has some merit in it, if not much ethical sense. Yes, there are earthquakes, mosquitoes and the AIDS virus. No, I can't understand fully what's going on in creation - nor could Darwin, though he gave us some very helpful pointers. But though my intellect can never capture the big picture, just as my lens can never capture the full beauty of what is, going for a walk with my camera still inspires in me wonder and praise. Is this accidental prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment