Sunday 1 February 2009

Uncomfortable uncertainty

I am apt to extol the virtues of newness, change and lack of control to my congregation. I probably go overboard on it, just to counter the natural conservatism of most organisations, including churches. But there are times when I wish I had much more control over the outcomes of what I do.
Just now I am trying to support someone experiencing domestic abuse. I don't know nearly enough about the situation, the legalities, what's best to do when. But I still feel a weight of responsibility on me to act and to advise in ways that will at the least do no further harm.
Now it's me I'm having to preach to about trusting God, about God's care for all, about God's will for transformation. And I don't find it any easier to hear or to put into practise than my church does. At least, I suppose, this is making me empathise with my fellow Christians... what a shock, I'm not Superwoman after all!

2 comments:

  1. What to say?
    Sometimes whether it was the "right" thing to do only becomes clear years later ...
    I really understand how difficult this situation must seem. Offering radical acceptance even when the person feels unable to leave the abuser seems to me essential - and also offering them ways out that are feasible
    In a similar situation I got blamed by both sides for not doing the right thing - the right thing depends of course on your point of view and what you are able to offer
    Most people prefer to walk on by when it comes to domestic violence our churches are not always the best places for people to find support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what to say?
    Here's to women that we may accept and love each other as we are.
    Sarah, you are superwoman to me and ordinary woman and wonderful woman and I can't wait to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete